Thursday, January 1, 2015

Big boat crash and roll-tacks


Saturday 13th, December I was set to participate to a regatta on big boats.
The boat was an Islander 36, just like this one :



We were racing in the Berkeley circle in  SF Bay, when we crashed into another boat.
This is what happened: 30 seconds before the start, we were on starboard and there was a boat coming in on port (we had the right of way). So usually, in this case the other boat is supposed to move out of our way but he didn't. Our skipper Bill decided to change his course. Unfortunately, the other boat did the same. So we moved the other way but so did he. At the end we ended up hitting each other so hard that his port lifeline broke. Our boat had a big scratch on the front and a crew member lost part of one of his big toe, but every thing is fine now.
I learned that it is always a bit tricky on the starting line, on big boats or on optis. I will be even more careful moving forward.


The crash:




Sunday 14th, December was the weirdest Sunday ever. I went to my yacht club (RYC), as usual.
The wind was very shifty. The afternoon was much better and we were lucky enough to race. I was so happy!

My results were 1st,2nd,1st, and 1st. I almost did a roll-tack, but at the end of my roll tack my Opti tipped over. I tried to dry capzise but I almost sunk my boat. What saved me from sinking,were my air bags.

If you don't remember what a roll tack is, you may look at this video (lucky Rayne, sailing in the BVIs :-)) Here is a video of a dry capzise.

I sail in SF Bay and I wish the water was as warm as in the Carribeean!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, je ne l'avais pas vu celui là !! c'est cool que tu joignes des video pédagogiques, ça nous permet de bien comprendre les différentes manœuvres :)

    je t'embrasse bien fort

    ReplyDelete